Wednesday, March 31, 2010

k is for kumquat

 i love the kumquat
it is 
sweet on the outside
and oh so sour
inside
sort of like 
john hughes character

truth be told
i would rather
eat them straight
than 
cook with them
but today
i decide to build a treat
around kumquats

panna cotta with kumquat confit
(printable recipe)
(say that 10 times fast!)
kumquat confit
10-15 kumquats--sliced thinly lengthwise
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
pinch salt
put sugar and water into a pot and bring to a boil  toss in salt and kumquats. let cook for 5 minutes then turn off heat. allow to cool completely.  Remove kumquats with slotted spoon and place on silpat or parchment paper.  Store sugar water separately.  The kumquats should be good and gooey.  The sugar water should taste citrusy. I use it to flavor my tea, or you can boil it up again and use it in your favorite marshmallow recipe.  If you want to store the kumquat for longer than a day, put in a jar, add a bit of the sugar water and put in the fridge.
vanilla panna cotta
1 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
2 tsp powdered gelatin
3 Tbs cold water
Place cream, milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan.  In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let sit for a few minutes.  Heat the cream until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is simmering. do not let it boil.  turn off heat, and drop in the gelatin and stir until it is dissolved.  you may need to put it back on the fire to completely dissolve the gelatin, but do it over a gentle heat.  Add vanilla.  Pour into 4 ramekins or other serving pieces.  If you want to serve the panna cotta unmolded, put a little oil around the bottom and sides before filling, for insurance.  Refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight.  Serve plain or with a bit of the confit, or sugared berries.
I am participating in alphabe-thursday over at 
you should go check it out
and see what all the fun is about
this week
sponsored by the letter K

34 comments:

  1. I've never eaten a kumquat. I don't think I've ever even seen one LOL. I'll have to check them out at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely and poetic post and dessert. I think kumquats with panna cotta is absolutely brilliant.

    Bravo!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit to never having tasted a kumquat either. Maybe it is time!!! Wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of kumquats, but I'd have trouble picking one out in a line up. I'm going to go looking for one the next time I'm in the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm picky, if it's good for you I'm not eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I learned something new today. Have a wonderful day of K's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this dish sounds delightful and we can all see that it is a beautiful presentation. Love the idea of using panna cotta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I've never tasted a Kumquat...
    Looks good on here (o:

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first experience with kumquats was eating them at a movie with a friend in college. I have never eaten them since, but I did like them. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with the never tasted crew. Interesting reference to John Hughes. I thought I didn't know who he was; so I looked him up and found that (being a teenager of the 80's and a mother of boys) I did know him. Fun, tasty post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had one. Such pretty images though! Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit...I am 30+ and I have never eaten a kumquat. Hmmm what does that say about me?

    ReplyDelete
  13. you girls are cracking me up! maybe i should do a kumquat give-a-way!!! if you find them in the store...make sure you eat the skin and all...the skin is sweet and the flesh is a bit sour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are HYSTERICAL!!! "like a John Hughes character!!!"


    That dessert looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. well, let me be the 1st to admit I have tasted a kumquat. once. it was good. never think to look for them in the store, though.

    and your dessert photo rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mm kumquat jam or jelly as statesiders call it is lovely great post

    ReplyDelete
  17. And there I thought kumquats were just for Scrabble...maybe I'll try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have to agree with viki i have never eaten a kumquat i thought they were made up like unicorns hmmm wait fruit or veg? lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those little kumquats, though I've never cooked with them. And my children don't like them, so I get to eat them all by myself :) ! I may have to try this recipe, too...
    Blessings,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess I'm a weirdo, but I eat kumquats all the time! The first time we tried them, I put them in the kids' stocking for Xmas. They had a good time trying to figure out what they were...tiny oranges? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've tasted other things but never a Kumquat did I eat. <---that's supposed to be poetic btw :) I'm sure it's very good though .

    ReplyDelete
  22. kumquats ... well i look at them in the grocery store and wonder what do to with them ... i guess i should give them a try

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love kumquats! And I also rather eat them as they are - but this sounds delcicious! Sometimes I eat them wiht almibar (it's like syrup - you cook them with sugar I think) together with icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful post. Sounds yummy!
    Best wishes,
    Anna

    http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/03/abc-wednesaday-kalphabe-thursday-k-k-as.html#links

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought I was going to be the only one who never tasted a kumquat, but I see I am in ample company. I must have a kumquat, post haste!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hmmmmm,
    don't know what a kumquat is, only heard of it
    never eaten a kumquat
    where do you even find a kumquat, in Montana?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Confession: I have never had kumquats. True story. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am glad to know I am not the only person to have never even seen a kumquat! Your post is lovely, I would love to try that dessert sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Isn't it funny, how some words are at once so familiar and so completely foreign? Kumquat is one of those. Who hasn't heard the word?....but who has actually ever cooked with a kumquat? They just don't look very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OH yummm! I LOVE Kumquats! hm...reading all the lovely K posts that have to do with food makes it very hard to sit still here...instead of getting the urge to rummage the fridge! Alas! I know we ate the last of the kumquats we had!

    I love your tongue twister haha...and will have to tryout your recipe.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    (sooo late...I'm the last of the class to turn in my K assignment! (thankfully, sweet Jenny is so forgiving on my tardiness!) ....and I'm late in seeing everyone else's fun posts! but...trying to make it before it's time for the L post!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am not sure about kumquats, when I tried them, they seemed bitter to me but man, is this dessert gorgeous or what? yummy......great K word....

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |