Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday Night Supper Club



I have had quite a response to my threat of making Twice Baked Potato Soup so I figured,  I woul make it tonight for Tuesday Night Supper Club.
Let me warn you…this is not a light dish, although I took some measures to lighten it up a bit. 
I would suggest serving as the whole meal, or just a cup on the side with a salad or roasted chicken.

We enjoyed twice baked potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner and I popped some of the leftovers in the freezer, just for this occasion.

Twice Baked Potato Soup
(printable recipe)
4 twice baked potatoes (from 2 whole potatoes-cut into large pieces)*
½ onion—finely chopped
3 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs flour
3 cups turkey broth
1 cup milk
¼ cup dry sherry
½ cup grated cheese (your choice)
1 Tbs chopped fresh chives
1 tsp granulated garlic
Salt and Pepper
Tabasco (optional)
In a stock pot, sauté the onion, in olive oil, until it is just beginning to turn brown. Add enough additional oil to measure 3Tbs in total. Add flour and stir until it begins to turn light brown.  Whisk in turkey broth and milk**
Let simmer and it will begin to thicken.  Add sherry and the twice baked potatoes.  I use the skin and everything, but then I use an immersion blender to make the soup a bit more smooth.  Use the blender to desired consistency.  Also…don’t use the skins if you don’t want to.  Totally up to you. Let the soup cook with the potatoes for about 10 minutes, then add the cheese, chives and garlic.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  If using Tabasco, drop a couple of dashes in each bowl before serving.  You can also top with more cheese, bacon bits, chives, sour cream or leftover durkee onions.

*to make my twice baked potatoes: clean russet potatoes and then rub with olive oil and kosher salt.  Bake on cookie sheet in 400^ oven until they "give".  Cut in half lengthwise and remove insides, careful to leave a bit of a shell.  Mash with milk, light sour cream, cooked bacon, chives, a bit of butter, and sharp cheddar cheese. Plop back into the shells and top with a bit more cheese. (before you freak out...i use sharp cheese, so I use less...probably about 1/2 cup in total for 3 potatoes). Bake in oven until the cheese is melty.

**I am using turkey broth because I made it the other day with the leftover turkey. You can use whatever you have on hand; chicken or vegetable.  Many people use 100% milk, but I think that is unnecessary...unless you are trying to get your kids to drink more milk. As an adult...the 1 cup with the cheese--not to mention the butter and sour cream is plenty of dairy intake for me.
Eat Up!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |