Saturday, November 28, 2009

souper snowday

Last night the thunder and lightning, at our mountain cabin, was astounding.  When I was a kid lightning frightened me. I was told that if I counted between the lightning and the thunder, each second between, indicated the miles between the strike and me.
While half asleep, I found myself counting...one-one thousand, two-one thousand....
because
as much as I love a great storm
...and i really do...
living in the mountains
amongst the trees
in a fire zone
lightning still scares me
a little
but I was comforted by the fact that it was raining
or so i thought

However
to my surprise

when the sun began to show
all i saw was white
a blanket of white
our first snow of the season

I bounded out of bed, and still in my flannels
threw on boots
and grabbed my camera
and started snapping

and then i went to the kitchen
and made soup
from the thanksgiving leftovers

Turkey Broth
(printable recipe)
large pot of cold water
turkey carcass and any bits no one will eat 
(in my family there is always an odd wing or leg left)
1 onion--sliced in half--skin on
2  carrots
2 celery stalks
3 or 4 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
fresh parsley
put the pot on the stove and let simmer for 3-4 hours
use the broth for the soup
Turkey and Vegetable Soup
(printable recipe)
olive oil
1/4 chopped onion
1 carrot--chopped
1 celery stalk--chopped
any leftover veggies
i used
sauteed mushrooms
roasted root vegetables
green beans--chopped
kernels from 2 ears of corn
1 roma tomato--seeded and chopped
broccoli
brussel sprouts w/pancetta
and some spices
i went with cumin and cayenne
1/4 cup white wine
turkey broth
bits of turkey 
shot of tabasco (optional)
heat a small stock pot and add just a bit of olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.  Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook until they begin to soften but not brown.  Add the rest of the vegetables.  Stir and let cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the white wine and let it absorb a bit.  Then add enough broth to make your soup.  Let simmer until all the vegetables soften.  Add turkey bits both from the broth and any other leftovers you may have.  Add seasonings, including any additional salt and pepper needed. Add tabasco if using. Let simmer just a couple more minutes

Freeze the rest of the broth for future use.
I am going to make twice baked potato soup next

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |