Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's a Marshmallow World...


It seems like everyone makes marshmallows. I made my first batch of homemade marshmallows when I was in culinary school and used it to decorate my gingerbread project

  • I thought it (marshmallow) was over rated
  • and messy
  • and gelatin smells like wet dog

  • but they (marshmallows) are a crowd pleaser
  • and look so dreamy 
  • floating on a steamy mug of cocoa
  • or piled high on a candy buffet
  • or perched on Mr. Darcy's open palm 

  • but most of all

  • they make the best gift
  • especially if you are on a  budget
  • and out of ideas

  • Which is why I made some of what I call marshmallow cakes to give this Christmas
  • I call this Candy-Cane Mellow Cake
  • because it is peppermint flavored


  • The recipient can cut it in squares, with cookie cutters, or just pick it up and eat it out of hand

  • I don't make the rules
  • and when it comes to eating sweets

  • I. 
  • don't.
  •  judge. 
  • Marshmallows
  • (printable recipe)
  • 3/4 oz (3 pkgs) unflavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbs  light corn syrup
  • water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg whites
  • flavoring to taste
  • food color 

Put sugar in a saucepan. Add enough water to make a mixture that looks and feels like wet sand.  What is most important is that all sugar has the same amount of moisture. Add corn syrup, and place over low heat.  Cook until it becomes a sugar syrup of 235-240 degrees. It should have the consistency of corn syrup.  Meanwhile...place 2 room temperature egg whites into the bowl of your mixer. Add the salt .  Also, prepare gelatin.  Place 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the water.  Let bloom.
Once the sugar syrup is ready, turn off heat and let sit for a couple of minutes...not too long.  Start your mixer on low and get the whites to foamy.  Mix the gelatin into the sugar syrup and stir until melted completely.  Bring the saucepan over to the mixer and turn it to high. Slowly pour the sugar syrup into the bowl, careful not to hit the whisk attachment.  Leave on high and mix until the mixture is warm, but full volume and comes to a peak.  While it is still warm, pour into tin or pan.  Sift powdered sugar on top
Variation
For the candy-cane marshmallow I used a 8" tart tin that I sprayed with vegetable spray.  I added 1/4 tsp peppermint oil (food safe) to the entire batch.  I separated the batch in half and added red food color to one half of the mixture.  I swirled together in the pan. Work fast because this sets up rather quickly.



Don't forget...my give-a-ways are still going...check the right sidebar for more information

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |