Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday Night Supper Club--Sloppy Joe

I have to admit it
I am a little down in the dumps
Football season is ending
and it bums me out
I love football
even though they keep adding rules 
and making pansies out of these guys
I love football food
and
spending Sundays screaming go, Go, GO at the teli
at the top of my lungs
and talking about players 
as if they were my 3rd grade boyfriend
and watching Matt Leinart
crash and burn
but those days are numbered
for this year
so i turn to what i call comeback food
food that is making a comeback
and will probably be on the menu of a local applebees* near you soon 
or worse yet
some fancy restaurant
at $25 a plate
because it's made with wagyu beef
but
 for me it is a simple meal
that helps me forget
if only for a moment
that football season is remarkably short
(this is more savory than sweet)
1 small onion--cut into fine dice
1/2 carrot-peeled and cut into fine dice
1/4 red pepper--cut into fine dice (optional)
2 garlic cloves--cut into fine dice
1 Tbs olive oil
1 lb ground beef, turkey or venison
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3Tbs+1 tsp tomato paste
1 Tbs worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs brown sugar--packed (dark or light)
1 tsp vinegar (white or cider)
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp prepared mustard (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
cheese for topping

Saute onions, pepper and carrot on low heat until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and stir until it begins to soften.  Add meat and kick up heat to medium.  Let cook until meat is completely cooked through.  Pour off excess fat then add salt, pepper, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and water.  Stir until it is all mixed in and begins to create a nice sauce. Add the brown sugar and vinegar and prepared mustard if using.  Cook for about 5 minutes allowing all the flavors to meld together.  Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
EAT UP!
I made mine as sliders--because I wanted to try out a bun recipe i had found. But the buns didn't turn out that great, so I am not passing it on. If you want to make small versions, just buy some dinner rolls and sandwich the meat in between.
*disclaimer---i do not represent nor intend to mis-represent applebees..or any other local food establishment that serves comeback food.




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |