Wednesday, March 16, 2011

lunch box pies {st. patrick's day meat pies}

gone are the days
of the tartan plaid
lunch pail
replete with
soup canister
trapped beneath a spring-loaded arm
and
monogrammed cloth napkin
so sad

but this girl
can still dream
moving from
shop to shop
hunting
for a bit of
my youth

these savory pies
formed and baked in cupcake tins
are perfect
for
lunch box days
picnics at the lake
afternoon snack for a carload of kids
or
enjoyed
as we are
a
st.paddy's day treat
with a guinness chaser
lunch box pies
(printable recipe)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 large onion--finely chopped
2 stalks celery--finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs creole seasoning
a few shakes of Tabasco sauce more or less to taste
1 cup breacrumbs
1/4 cup hot water
1 recipe pie crust
Creole Seasoning

from Emeril's New Orleans Cooking
2 Tbs  chili powder and paprika
1 Tbs ground coriander, garlic powder and salt
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, black pepper and dried leaf oregano
Mix together and keep in an airtight container

chop onions and celery and sauté until soft.  lightly cook pork and drain off grease.  add ground beef to pork and cook 5 minutes.  add onions and celery.  cook over low heat for 25 minutes. drain any grease.  add seasoning, tabasco and salt.  add hot water and bread crumbs and mix well.  let stand 30 minutes.  meanwhile, line muffin tins with pie crust.  fill the crust 3/4 full with filling.  close with top crust. decorate as desired. brush with lightly whisked egg yolk.  bake at 400 until pie crust is golden..about 20 minutes.
to make shamrock, color some of the egg with green food color and use a paint brush to paint design.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, very tempting! And so cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Christy, these look and sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would even carry a lunchbox if I could have one of these cute and tasty pies in it...yum! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chirsty these are cute looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good and sound really tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    I'm also taking part in the Hearth & Soul hop and that's how I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy - you never cease to amaze me - these are great for any day but your little shamrocks make them the perfect St. Patty's day appetizer! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so pretty and a lovely idea for a large gathering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post - and those pies are so cute (and they sound delicious too!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi christy! What a delight! I too loved the whole lunch box thing and was in love with Frances and his school lunch! I adore these savory pies and I am going to share them on my hearth and soul hop because I need some neato things to make for lunch for my kids now that they have gone all bento on me, and secondly because of the St. Paddy's day theme! Thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop! All the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I'm bookmarking this for my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy! I grew up in an old gold mining town, and they remind me of Pasty's the old miners ate for lunch.

    Carlee,
    ladybirdln.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So yummy!! I am loving all the delicious ideas here. :) I invite you to link up any & all of your delightful creations to The Homespun Bake Shop @ The Tattered Tag. It's a great, new place to share & find delicious inspiration. My weekly blog bash K.I.S.S. is also in full swing, so please link up there too. Happy to be a new follower :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you...I lament that the perfect picnic days have largely become a thing of the past, but hopefully sentimental souls like us will help keep the tradition alive. Your recipe sounds so wonderful. I'd take a savory meat pie over a sweet one any day!

    Thank you for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Silly me...did I say picnic? I meant lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |