Thursday, February 11, 2010

D is for Ding Dong

i just love that phrase
yer such a ding dong
ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong
ding dong the witch is dead
nothin' like a box of ding dongs
except
i never had a ding dong
until i was in college that is
when I was on my own
and could eat whatever i wanted
no matter how bad it was for me
my mom didn't believe in processed foods
oh
she knew they existed
but they didn't exist in our california rancher
not when
for half the cost
you could have something
homemade and delicious
or an apple
which was her favorite go-to snack
outside of a piece of cheese

i can still hear her voice
when we would come home from school
and complain of hunger
have an apple or piece of cheese
can you imagine the neglect? 
(insert sarcasm here)
so you can understand when
an 18 year old
with a pocketful of change
would immediately buy
a box of ding dongs
and then wallow in the disappointment

unbelievably, what i was missing
was nothing
compared to 
cheesecake
peanut butter cookies
biscotti
ding dongs pretty much suck
(my opinion)
but homemade ding dongs
pretty much rule
Amazing Devil's Food Cake
(printable recipe)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
1 1/2 cups hot coffee or hot water or mixture of the two (i use espresso with water)
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 extra large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream + 1/2 cup milk or 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 
1 tsp vanilla
melt bittersweet chocolate in hot water/coffee.  Sift dry ingredients together (including sugar). Mix together the chocolate/coffee mixture, milk, sour cream and vanilla. In a mixer beat the eggs with the oil until thickened and doubled in volume (about 3-5 minutes).  Alternately add the dry and wet ingredients to the mixer, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix until just incorporated.
Bake in 2-9" rounds that have been prepared with cooking spray and lined with baking paper. 
*note...for ding dongs, i make in a sheet pan and use a cookie cutter to cut the rounds.
Oven temp should be 350 and bake until tester comes out clean. For the sheet pan, it will go fast...about 20 minutes. For the cake rounds allow about 50 minutes, but check on it after 30 minutes.


Creamy Fluffy Filling
(printable recipe)
i recommend this for filling...but not for frosting. It is lightly sweet and very sturdy
1 cup milk
5 Tbs flour
11/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup shortening--room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter--room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
Over low heat, cook milk and flour in a saucepan until it makes a thick paste. Use a whisk to break up lumps. Let cool.  In mixer using whisk attachment, beat shortening, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla. Add in cooled flour paste and whip until light and fluffy.  Add more sugar if you want a sweeter taste.
1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate--chopped
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbs granulated sugar
1 Tbs corn syrup
2 Tbs butter
Heat cream with sugar and corn syrup over medium heat.  Once cream begins to simmer and sugar is dissolved, pour over chocolate and butter. Let chocolate melt and then whisk together until it is thick and shiny..

To assemble: cut rounds of the chocolate cake. Spread a layer of filling on top of one round and top with a second round.  Fill in nooks and large gaps with a bit more filling.  Place in fridge to harden.  Meanwhile make ganache.  Set cakes on a cooling rack over a lined sheet pan.  Pour ganache over cooled cakes and gently tap the rack to move the ganache over the cake. Use a small spatula warmed over a flame to nudge and smooth out the ganache. 
Let cool at room temp or in the fridge if you are in a rush.  You may loose some of the gloss if you refrigerate.  Serve as is, or wrap in foil for authenticity!



50 comments:

  1. I never liked ding dongs much but I would still occasionally eat them. Your recipe looks a while lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that looks so good! I haven't had a ding dong in so long. Now I want one! I will have to try that recipe!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love ding dongs...they were a treat when we went camping, but since learning how to cook and we do not eat processed foods hardly at all)..I cannot eat one...m,y oldest son just tried one about 6 months ago and was not impressed. HOWEVER...your homemade version looks to-die-for! I may make these tonight for hubby's b'day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the deal with mom's always being right? It's so irritating. I'm going to go wash behind my ears oh and buy a gallon of milk to go with my homemade ring dings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brava! I confess I actually liked ding dongs ( and ring dings) when I was a child. These sound so much better and healthier. I'm copying down your recipe as I'd like to make them as a treat for my grandson when he's a little older.

    Nice to meet you through Alphabe Thursday! I added myself to your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, seriously yum. That filling is what my Grandmother used to call "wallpaper paste frosting". I haven't thought of that in years. I will have to try it again now that I have a stand mixer. It used to take forever with the hand mixer.

    What a D elicious and D elightful post!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home made ding dongs? Be still my heart (or at least unclog long enough for me to try these) I'm with you, the boxed ones are pretty nasty, but in a pinch, they are chocolate - well sort of. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those look delicious :) .
    Blessings,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow that's awesome! I am glad to know how the filling is made since that's usually the part I want to eat anyways *L*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know! They do stink. My Mom never bought them either. Homemade cakes, cobblers and pies were always much better. I can definately do homemade :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever eaten a ding-dong, but your homemade version looks pretty tempting. Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohhh. Whyyyy did I have to pick today to start a no sugar/no flour diet?? oh why oh whyyyy!??
    ::whimper::

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummm! The desert looks awesome! I tried a ding dong again a few years ago and found they are not quite what I remembered them to be when I was a kid. I have a daughter that use to like them frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum-O! I'm gonna try to make some...I love the boxed kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't think i have ever had a real ding dong how lame am i lol. I will have to try these though it looks like a great project

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look sooooo good. And so much better than the preservative-filled crap in a box. Thanks for the recipe! I'd love to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of a ding dong (well we call a mans do-do a ding dong - but it looks nowhere near as inviting!)

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow, those home made ding dongs look yummy ... i can feel my hips expanding just by looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious! I have never had a ding dong, but always heard of them (maybe they don't sell them where I live?) Your recipe is mouth watering - I feel that no matter how the store bought ones taste, it would be nothing like the homemade. Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll have to try the recipe for the homemade DingDongs. May not ever eat a boxed one again after that!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    And I may have to buy a ding dong today. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. stopping by from SITS - looks yummy! Its days like this I wish I wasn't allergic to chocolate... I too grew up in a no processed food house and still to this day won't eat Kraft Dinner cause home made is way better :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ding DOngs ROCKED when I was a kid...I have had them as an adult and they SUCK. I can almost guarantee they have changed the recipe becuase not only are they SMALLER, they do not taste remotely the same.

    I will have to try your homemade recipe :) Visiting from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmmmmmm! This recipe looks great. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the story that comes before the recipe! i never much liked ding dongs either. mom wouldn't let us eat them, but dad was obsessed and would sneak us some on occasion. :-p


    happy SITS sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I TOTALLY agree wih u! I had never tryed one of these things b4 and when i stepped on to american soil i was showered with all the yanky junk food i could possibly imagine! Much to my suprise i was not thrilled with most of it :) BUT your home made ones look devine! Thanks for dropping by my blog :) I hope u have a wonderful wkend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks scrumptuous....Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day. Lia

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG you sound JUST LIKE ME. And that sounds & looks SO YUMMERS!!!! I never had a ding dong or a twinkie until college. they never entered our house! And I can SO hear your mom and mine saying "have a piece of cheese"... wow.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    Blessings~~~

    ReplyDelete
  29. omg that looks absolutely amazing. gotta try that one day. happy SIT sat!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooooooo...I love me some ding dongs, but it's been since high school when I last ate one. I probably would care for it much anymore. But now homemade ding dongs, that's something I could really sink my teeth into! YUMMY!!!

    Visiting here from SITS. Happy Saturday Sharefest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh god it looks like work. I'd love to eat the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Here I am making grown up food like meatballs and your kid food is quietly ROCKING the HOUSE. Want.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmmm...you food bloggers just want to tease me today. That's what it is. I've already had one of my aunt's chocolate covered cakes earlier and now this. I'm gonna have to learn how to bake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay, I NEED one of those. *Drools*

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi - new visiter to your site. First, you had me at ding dong! I LOVE these things and as an avid baker (sweets only though!) I'm borrowing this receipe and making it asap! Second, I'm following your site because it says "fudge" :)

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your ding-dongs look perfect!! I've never been that crazy about the store-bought variety, but I'm sure I would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Christy,

    You just made me want to eat my computer. :o)

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just wanted to let you know that the recipe is missing how much flour and the temperature and time for baking

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you to anonymous who recognized an error in the recipe..it is now fixed!
    so sorry everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh boy, ding-dongs are my favorite "snack!"

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  41. I blogged about my experience making your Ding-Dongs. They were a hit! Please check it out: http://lindsaysmommymusings.blogspot.com/2010/02/adventures-in-doh.html

    I do have a question: What should I do with all of the left-over cake? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Christy,

    I'm working for the site AllFreeCopycatRecipes.com. I've been perusing your website, and I really enjoy your recipes! I’ve linked to one of them. You can view it here:

    http://www.allfreecopycatrecipes.com/Candy-Copycats/Twix-Chocolate-Love/ct/1

    http://www.allfreecopycatrecipes.com/Dessert-Recipes/Homemade-Ding-Dongs/ct/1

    Do we have permission to link in this manner from this post as well as your current blogs in the future? In addition, we would similarly like to use this recipe and its accompanying photo in our e-mail newsletters and eCookbooks. Often, for instance, we develop and promote blogger eCookbooks. All of this would drive traffic to your blog. *You would receive credit for your recipe with these links.
    You can view a past eCookbook to see how we credit bloggers:

    http://www.allfreecopycatrecipes.com/Cookie-Copycats/8-Types-of-Girl-Scout-Cookies-Your-Favorite-Girl-Scout-Cookie-Flavors-eCookbook/ct/1

    As you'll see, we do not post the recipe in full, but rather link out to it just as we do on the site. Please let us know what you think!

    You can contact me at jthelander[dot]primecp[dot]com

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hold on now.As I remember Ding Dongs and Ho Ho's and the like (chocolate and a filling)I thought they were a very enjoyable quick and easy snack. Of course I was just a kid and my culinary appreciation of pastries was some what limited at the time. It wasn't until years later after purchasing the once delicious snack after a long abstinence that I notice that the Ding Ding like other snack foods had changed. Being almost airy to the point of hollowness and the chocolate was not the deep dark chocolate of yesteryear I was disappointed and unsatisfied. I guess you can chalk it all up to corporate cost cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Could the cake be baked as cupcakes and then pipe the filling inside? I'd like for it to be more authentic with the filling inside rather than between layers. Just wondering if anyone has tried that method?

    The cake recipe sounds wonderful and the filling is very interesting! Think I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anon...
      yes it could...but that would make it more of a cupcake than a ding dong (i always suspected they were the same thing in different forms!). You can also make the cake higher (use a high-sided cake pan) and cut out the round shapes...and pipe the filling in that way--then cover with the chocolate ganache. it would certainly make it more authentic. thank you for coming by and for the great idea!
      christy

      Delete
  45. what size of sheet pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1/2 sheet pan...standard cookie sheet size

      Delete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |