Monday, May 3, 2010

Tuesday Night Supper Club--Taco Salad


as the days get 
warmer
i look forward to my food getting
cooler

there are days when
even i
don't like to be in a warm kitchen

growing up,
come summer
there was always a crowd
at our table

this salad was 
my mother's summer standby

it was one of those dinners
that every body loved
and tastes surprisingly good

with a tall cold glass of milk
or
a tangy margarita 
(click it..it is a great recipe)

i really love it
and
hope you do too
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 Tbs taco seasoning
olive oil
1 large head romaine lettuce
tomato
avocado
1 can kidney beans--drained and rinsed
cilantro
cucumber
black olives (the kind in a can)
shredded cheddar or "mexican blend" cheese
girard's champagne dressing
or
combination of equal parts sour cream and salsa mixed into a dressing
tortilla chips
(i have an aunt that uses nacho cheese doritos and swears by it--i like tortilla strips)
Heat olive oil in a saute pan.  Cook onions until they are translucent and start to brown around the edges.  Toss in the ground beef and cook through, breaking up into pieces.  Scatter in the taco seasoning along with 3 Tbs water.  Stir to coat, let cool.  
Meanwhile, chop lettuce and toss in all ingredients into a large salad bowl...including chips.  Once the meat is cooled, toss into salad and add dressing. Serve immediately.
EAT UP!

10 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderful taco salad. It's a great dinner for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had taco salad last night. Yours looks better. Stopping from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect for the warm weather. Filling, but not too heavy!

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - I can't wait for warm weather dinners!
    ***Ally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im sure you have fun making it as well as eating it. Dropping by from SITS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your words at the beginning of the post. And I can't wait to try the salad. I love summer.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. just in time for cinco de mayo! thanks for sharing! stopping by from sits to show some comment love. happy wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taco salad is one of my favorite and fast dinners. I will have to look for the dressing you use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me a taco salad! It's already warm enough to get us out of the kitchen! I've been hoping the heat will lead me to more salads and less everything else, especially cake. I've gotten really into the taste of extra virgin olive oil on my salads recently. I used to eat them without any dressing at all. My husband and I find the the taco stuff from the meat and sour cream enough for this dish. I'm a vegetarian so I'll exchange beans and veggie bacon (morningstar brand or bacos) for real meat. Give it a try. It's awesome!

    Followed you from Sits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taco Salad ~ one of my most favorite meals! I make it all the time! I love putting a bit of chopped up avocado on there, too!

    ~angela @ peonypatch

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |