Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Splat Cookies

this is definitely not a new recipe
as a matter of fact
it might be as old as time
or at least as old as
quaker old-time oatmeal
i
on the other hand
had never heard of
or tasted this cookie
before i met my husband

upon seeing it at a pot-luck table
he murmured
that is my favorite kind of cookie
it would be great if you could figure out the recipe
which was easy
compared to the 
memory game
you know the one
where someone describes something they once had
and then asks if you can duplicate it
that sucks

this is my version of what is commonly known as
no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies
i call them splat cookies
because i make the dough
and basically
splat them into shape
no muss
no fuss
Splat Cookies
(printable recipe)
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk, cream, or evaporated milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
generous pinch of salt
1/4 cup dark cocoa
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3 cups oatmeal
1 tsp vanilla
Throw the sugar, milk (or whatever you are using), butter, salt and cocoa into a heavy bottomed pan.  Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until it comes to a boil.  Stir constantly for 3 minutes while it is boiling. Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla.  Stir until the peanut butter has melted. Drop in the chocolate chips and give a good stir, then stir in the oats. If the mixture begins to seize up on you, place over a gentle heat to loosen it up a bit...if it still is being funky, add a bit more milk (cream, evap milk)...just a tad at a time.  Using a tablespoon, drop onto a lined cookie sheet and let cool.
Eat with friends and a glass of milk!

24 comments:

  1. I'll be right over for the splat cookies. Please save some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friend calls hers doggy doo's LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks great, it sounds a bit like an old recipe my mother made when i was young. It was called arretjescake. (It's a dutch word.)
    If you are interested I can give you the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the name "splat cookies"!!! When I was a little girl, I used to repeat nursery rhymes, and sometimes I didn't get it quite right...
    I said... "Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean, and so betwixt them both, they licked the splatter clean." Instead of "licked the platter clean".. You splat cookies made me think of licking the splatter clean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make the same things- a little bit different recipe- but they are from a friend from high school. she calls them "no bakes".
    i think the hardest thing about them is trying to wait until they have hardened up and are cool to eat them... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never come across these before! They sound a lot better than they look. Fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious but then I like anything with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these and never knew there was a recipe for them. D'oh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm getting a SUGAR-high just looking at the photos!!! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, we love these. My kids used to just stand impatiently waiting for them to cool just enough to not burn their mouths. I should make a batch of these soon!

    And I really like your new background. It is quite charming!

    Thanks for a sweet stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "S"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always pick this from the cookie dish at a shower or tea - it will always be yummy unless someone has (meanly!) tried to make a 'healthy' version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these cookies! Growing up, we've always called them Preachers Cookies...I guess because my dad was a preacher and he loves them...

    ~angela @ peonypatch

    ReplyDelete
  13. baukje--i would LOVE the recipe..please email it to me--christy@luciagrace(dot).net I always love to try new things..yum!

    Jenny...thanks for noticing the new banner...it is in a state of transition...my skills are not good, but i am working my way through several manuals...i am having quite a few "yikes" moments

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Eat with friends and a glass of milk!" gotta love your last line! everything is better with milk and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SPLAT! I think my 4 year old would love this~~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those cookies!! They sound so easy to make. I am going to have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I LOVE these~ we had them in elementary school for lunch and then my mom found a recipe and made them! Splat is a great name for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great and I can't overcook them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those cookies and they are my 29 year old daughter's favorites. She will even make them and she really does not like to cook or bake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We used to have these cookies at school on Fridays. I have made them at home and my kids always loved them. They are so easy to make and taste so rich! Thanks for the reminder and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice but I think I prefer my cookies to have a shape

    thanks for your visit

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way you describe no-bake cookies as "as old as oatmeal."
    I'm gonna have to make some for my family tomorrow!
    And anyone who says my baby is beautiful is my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have a similar recipe for no-bake cookies, but I love the name you gave them :o)

    Thank you for sharing yours.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    (I finally have some free time so am trying to get to more S posts!... so happy to see yours. I would love to have you pop over to my place. And if you get a chance, please let me know by leaving a comment on my post. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, these are da - bomb!!! I like your recipe - super easy and forgiving. I think I will make some for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |