Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Queen of Hearts Tarts

here's what i'm thinkin'

why wasn't there MORE broo ha ha about
Alice in Wonderland?

it came and went too fast
not that i loved the story
because i really didn't
but 
my eyes lit up
and then
teared up
at the design and beauty
of this film
and i keep hoping
for the occasion
to recreate
some of its amazing elements

today
is not that day
but i think these tarts are fun
representing the
smoldering of the Red Queen's dark heart
and the
flame of her hair
Queen of Hearts Tart
1 recipe italian meringue dyed red
strawberry, raspberry, mixed berry, or apricot jam
chocolate pastry cream (recipe follows)
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
pinch salt
1 Tbs dark rum or 1 tsp vanilla
2 cups milk
5 oz bittersweet chocolate-chopped or chipped
1 Tbs unsalted butter
Roll out dough and place into tart or tartlet pans as directed.  Blind bake until completely done.  Let cool.   Meanwhile, make the pastry cream.
Whisk together the sugar, salt, egg yolks and cornstarch until light yellow. Whisk in the rum or vanilla. Scald the milk in a saucepan, then temper the egg mixture, whisking as you add the milk.  Return to saucepan and low heat. Cook over low heat until it begins to thicken and just starts to bubble a bit...do not let it simmer or boil.  Pour through sieve into a clean bowl. Add chocolate and butter and stir to melt and combine.  Let cool a bit.
Spoon and spread a thin layer of jam in the bottom of the tart shell. Top with chocolate pastry cream.  Whip up meringue and top the tart or tartlets in design of your choice.  Pop in a 350 oven and bake until meringue begins to firm up, but does not brown....note: if you are making this as a non-queen of hearts tart, keep the meringue it's natural color and let it bake away until brown or use a torch to color as you please. Chill before serving

29 comments:

  1. ooooooo these looks so good darl! YUM! Hey i was just asking my hubby about that movie the other day, i was wondering what happened with it? If it did as well as they expected seemed like a whole lot of leading up to it and then POOF! That was it? How r the bees doing btw darl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. super yummy and oh so current :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some movies come and go so fast. They must make more money selling them sometimes I think. Those tarts look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, i have yet to see the movie ... and i have been dying too ... but for some reason, i'm either busy or my friends are busy or my daughter is busy ... and i just haven't made it yet ... and wow, those tarts look hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Q-post!
    Best wishes
    Anna
    http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/05/q-as-in-quilts-quartz-abc-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cruel I am on weight watchers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohmygoodness...such DEE-LI-CIOUS looking Tarts! Did you use my Queen's Tarts Cookbook? Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, those look amazing. The color? WOW. I have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Strawberries and Chocolate! :) Very nice Q post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm. I would use raspberry. Chocolate and raspberry is my favorite combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of your Queen of Hearts Tarts. I've not seen the movie, but I've been bitten by the AIW bug. You may want to join in the fun of the Mad Hatter's Party on June 26th @ Fanciful Twist. I have their button on my sidebar. I hope to participate, but don't have my plan formalized as yet. :-) Great Q post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMM. Pretty tarts! I have not seen the movie. Hubs does not go to the theater so it will probably be months from now before I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chocolate pie crust? CHOCOLATE PIE CRUST?

    Sorry, OK, I got a little bit too excited here. Sorry about that!

    What a wonderfully yummy looking stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "Q"!

    This would be charming for Valentines day, too!

    Thanks for being such a wonderful participant each week!

    I love my visits here!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are so beautiful! I bet they taste beautiful too! Happy q day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous tarts! How odd that tarts figured in my blog today, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look sooooo beautiful & yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound delicious. And they are so pretty - almost too pretty to eat. (I said almost!) Just scrolled down and read your post on the fried chicken. I loved that book, and being from Mississippi, my mouth watered every time she spoke about food :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy Q post.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a decadent dessert! Ummmm chocolate and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I just say... amazing. Oh to be a taste-tester in your home. These are gorgeous and the dark, rich red and chocolate. Wow. Make mine raspberry with chocolate pastry cream and meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look yummy - and so colourful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow those tarts look amazing! I have not seen the new film yet...but did enjoy the cartoon one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look delicious - great choice for Q!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Christy,

    I drool over your recipes!! This one is a "must make"...they are not only cute, they sound heavenly! Thanks for sharing the recipe and for stopping by the farmhouse for a visit. We love having company.

    Have a great productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now, that's my idea of a perfect Alphabe - something you can eat...with rum and chocolate...now, if it only included marzipan, I would be psychotic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yummy OOOOOOOO! I did a card theme wedding rehearsal dinner for my kids a few years back. This woulda been a fun one for that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're right, that movie was quite beautiful. Your treats are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks good! I want to eat it up!

    Stopping by from SITS to say HAPPY TUESDAY!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |