Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So I Spent the Afternoon In Tears....

...weeping, like I had a year's worth of crying stored up and hit my breaking point.  And in public no less.  But it isn't a rare occasion that I cry, actually I do it a lot.  Not, oh you hurt my feelings, so I am going into the corner to cry.  More like...that scene from Chariots of Fire where they are running on the beach and the music is building to a crescendo and you can see toil and victory on their faces.
Add music to just about any situation and you can just hand over the kleenex.
Today I attended a beautiful and emotional Veteran's Day celebration at our American Legion Post.  Every year, they hold a flag retirement ceremony. Flags that are too damaged to be flown, are respectfully disposed of by fire.  Veterans, children of veterans, friends of veterans, lined up to dedicate flags to fallen comrades.  As each flag was dedicated and subsequently burned, my emotions became more and more exposed.  It was a bit distracting...thank goodness we were outside and I could wear my over-sized sunglasses---it, combined with my camera--were very good camouflage.
It was an amazing afternoon and I am filled with Gratitude for the men and women who are our military.  I am Proud of my country and flag.  I am filled with Faith.
What an wonderful day...despite the tears.
By the time I got home I was in need of some comfort.  But it was too early for a drink, and I don't find solace in ice cream. What to do, what to do?
Donuts make me happy.
I thought, "I should make donuts"
So I did
and I took a photo--okay about a thousand photos
and then I gave the donuts away
almost all of them
i kept a few
because they look so yummy
and I have a husband who is a veteran
and he deserves a treat
on Veteran's Day
But I abstained
which I don't really don't want to do again
Red-White and no more Blues Donuts
(printable recipe)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbs baking powder
2 Tbs melted butter
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add the butter and mix in until well incorporated.  Stir in the dry ingredients.  Turn onto a floured board and gently knead, incorporating more flour if needed.  You will probably need about another 1/4-1/3 cup flour.  Flatten dough out to about 1/2" and cut in donut shapes. I used a 2" round cutter and then the large end of a frosting tip for the center hole.  
Fry up.
You can dip in a icing made of powdered sugar mixed with a bit of vanilla and some cream, or chocolate ganache, or powdered sugar...or a myriad of other things. I am thinking that an icing made from apple cider might be delish.  But I'm only looking at the donuts...not tasting.
Today.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |