Tuesday, October 12, 2010

turmeric chicken


i love chicken kebab

we live near a large armenian community
 which makes finding great chicken
fairly easy
but it makes for an expensive
dinner out
so i have been playing with this recipe
i used to use saffron
but hubster wasn't a big fan
so i switched it up to turmeric
with all the color, and none of the cost
turmeric chicken
(printable recipe)
3-4 lbs chicken 
(i use a combination of skinless,boneless thighs and breast because we can't agree in my house)
2 cups plain greek yogurt
1 Tbs turmeric
2 large clove garlic--smashed
1 onion--halved and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp black pepper
juice of 3 lemons
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbs butter--melted
salt and pepper to taste
mix the yogurt, turmeric, garlic, onion, pepper, lemon juice and oregano together.  place the chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade over.  place in the fridge and marinate at least 4 hours, or overnight.  when ready to cook, remove from the fridge and blot with paper towel dry.  discard the marinade.  place enough olive oil in the bottom of a hot pan to cover.  pan fry the chicken until it is browned and cooked through.  when it comes out of the pan, brush a bit of the melted butter and season with salt and pepper (it won't need much if any salt).
i like to serve with tahini, hummas, and tzatziki which i know aren't completely authentic--but they are really tasty

i am linking to
and 

6 comments:

  1. Christy,
    I am starving and this looks amazing! I really want some right now! I will be trying this recipe soon! Thanks for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a fan of saffron either. I almost feel guilty saying that out loud because foodies are supposed to go ga-ga for it. Oh well, so I'll just make up your recipe with turmeric, which I do love! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chicken looks devine. I am not a fan of saffron because of the price! I love your substitute. Thanks for hosting. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christi, I was away this week, so sorry I didn't link up to your supper club, but it will be on the menu for this coming week for sure. chicken Kebabs are so simple and so delicious! I love tumeric too and it adds such a distinct flavor and I love the color! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love turmeric, I use it all the time in Moroccan dishes. Hummus is also a big hit in my house. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I totally missed this last week...I'm sorry!! It sounds fabulous...and I agree about switching to turmeric...much more cost effective! Thanks for sharing with the hearth and soul hop :D

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |