Sunday, October 3, 2010

poetic apples

i love october
mainly because of halloween
but also because of the promise october holds
the promise of dark cool mornings
followed by crisp afternoons
perfect for a walk
down country roads
the crackle of autumn leaves at my feet
and an irish knit to keep me warm
alas
promises are meant to be broken
when you live in southern california

instead of crisp afternoons
i find myself with crunchy granny smith apples
and rather than
 dark cool mornings
i have dark warm chocolate
sometimes a broken promise isn't all that bad

i don't have a recipe for you, as these are quite simple
but i do have a couple of tips

-use good chocolate--bittersweet or milk, whatever your fancy--but make sure it is good.  you can learn how to temper chocolate in the microwave, here
- if you make your own caramel--let it set and then warm when you are ready to dip your apples  i actually make my caramel in advance, let it set and cool, then roll it into round sheets much like you can buy in the store.
i like this recipe from the culinary institute of america
 i find it easier to drape the sheet over the apple than to dip it
-i roll the caramel apples in toasted, salted almonds, but peanuts and pecans are yummy too! i have found that putting the nuts under the chocolate, gives the chocolate something to grab, and also allows for festive decoration
-floral tape on the stick, covers a myriad of sins
and cute ribbon turns it from an apple to a present

you should go to your kitchen right now
and make these
they are delicious
and some might say
poetic

14 comments:

  1. Your apples are certainly poetic. I have never draped the apples -- just dipped. Great tip! Love a ribbon to -- it just brings it up a notch. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tips!! Great idea about rolling the caramel, never thought of that :) The apples are so pretty, completely gift worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! And have to agree with Andrea, great tips! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy,
    We must be on the same page, because I was thinking about making Carmel Apples for my daughter and her friends just last night. I however, Dip mine, then let the apples hang out a couple hours in the refrigerator. Then go back in dip in Milk Chocolate with a Candy on top. When I post the recipe I'll let you know. It probably wont be until closer to Haloween because I have to get through Canadian Thanksgiving 1st!!!

    Thanks again for the comment

    Mrs. Mix It

    ReplyDelete
  5. ouuuuuu these apple looks gorgeous. looks professionally done with the chocolates :) yummms. thanks for the tips :)


    Have a fabulous week!
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poe-tic. I like it! And caramel apples are one of my favorite things on the whole planet. I'm contemplating a drive up to the North Georgia mountains while I'm in Atlanta this weekend for some really great apples. There's nothing like them. And the sourdough apple raisin bread they sell. We buy several loaves and eat one in the car on the way home. If you are dying for some great apples, go to mercierorchards.com. They'll ship them right to you (and the great bread).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poem AND the apples!

    I am visiting from Just Something... Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a "service unavailable message so I'm not sure if my comment went through?

    I love your pretty caramel apples and wish I had one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your apples would make lovely gifts! I hope you'll stop by and share them at the Pretty Packages Party!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/10/pretty-packages-party-3.html
    smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! They look so very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These just might be the most beautiful apples I've ever seen! If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by & post this on Not "Baaad" Sundays with LambAround. The Linky should be up this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you! When you linked to the Pretty Packages Party, you put my link instead of yours. No one can find you! Come back and relink so everyone can see you gorgeous apples!
    smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making Caramel Apples and those look soooo yummy! What is the recipe for making caramel that you use?

    ReplyDelete
  14. elizabeth...sorry--i thought i had a link to the caramel...i use this one http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/Caramels.html
    or this one
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/75411/soft-caramels-from-the-culinary-institute-of-america.html

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |