Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Toffee Apples

remember the days when...
you could eat an entire toffee apple
and dessert?
and nary a care about the calories 
or 
your teeth?
stop remembering
those days are gone
long gone....

i love caramelized sugar and i think apples and pears 
are the perfect fodder for it
but toffee'd fruit isn't as popular as it used to be
now there is much more gilding
caramel
chocolate
marshmallow
nuts
and 
candy
all cuddled around an apple
the size of my head
and it can be had
for a mere $30
really,
what is up with that?

i'm going back to the basics with this recipe
i suggest using very small apples
which are easier to find in the fall 
than in the summer
because they are really cute
and are more apt to be fully eaten
than a full size apple
which is simply 
more practical

unless you are a pig farmer
in which case
you have use for
half-eaten apples on a stick

Toffee Apples
8 small crunchy apples
popsicle sticks or sturdy skewers
2 cups granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 generous Tbs honey
1/2 cup water
place the sugar, salt, honey and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  cook over medium heat, careful not to over-stir or agitate. once mixture comes to a full boil, pop in a candy thermometer.  continue to cook until thermometer reaches 290.  remove from heat, candy will continue to cook , so make sure you remove fully from the heat. wait a moment for the toffee to thicken up just a smidge (it will give you better coverage on the apple) dip the apples one by one, tipping the pot as necessary to fully coat.  place each apple on a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper and let cool. 


30 comments:

  1. Amazingly, these look so much better that those over price over sized over coated apples you see at the chocolate shop ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eating these. At forty five my teeth don't agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Terrible Toffee craving now! Too Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonfire night! To me, toffee apples are always associated with standing round a bonfire, watching an effigy of Guy Fawkes being burned to a crisp and waiting for fireworks!

    Alternatively, a funfair by the seaside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy - I helped myself to some of those Terrific Toffee apples when nobody was looking!

    Wishing you a Happy Alphabe-Thursday and a great weekend,

    LOLA:)

    PS Mine’s HERE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, those were the days. I know my son would go ape for those apples...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo, i love toffee apples, now i want one :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmmm.... :) ! Terrific T .
    Blessings,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made caramel, but never toffee apples. They sound good! I have had one of those (not $30 --- but expensive) store bought ones. Much to my surpise it was devine! I thought it would taste stale and yucky! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always like the small apples like this! Great sweet to apple ratio! And sweet in every bite, too.

    Your recipes looks really superb!

    And I really enjoyed this little sweet stop here on my journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "T"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love them although I remember sometimes practically cracking my teeth on them LOL. Good T post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look wonderful. We have a candy shop here that sells beautiful hand dipped apples, but they are ridiculously large, not to mention expensive. I love caramel apples. My dentist loves them even more :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks pretty yummy to me. I could never eat one of those over sized dipped apples. These look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sweet.
    would love to have a try...
    Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. those are adorable with the ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of Toffee Apples, but these look and sound divine! So glad I stopped by! And, thanks for stopping by my post about reality TV. I can't watch the housewives-I feel dirty just watching the promos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty bouquet of toffee apples! They look like delicious treats.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm coming over to eat one of those apples!! The ribbon is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious! And you are right... we don't need an apple the size of our head!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds delish:-) Wonderful choice for a post...peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am making some of these! I just love crunchy apples with a sweet covering. I like caramel but I like "candy' apples even better. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Christy,

    Thanks for the visit. I think you are right that the elongated tea/coffee pot could probably be for hot chocolate. That's even better! You are a smart cookie.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  24. those look yummy!

    thanks for reading picky and leaving it some love!

    ReplyDelete
  25. everytime I read your blog, I gain a pound or two but it tastes really good....I love the little apples!

    ReplyDelete
  26. 7.30 am here I am salivating for toffee apples! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those sound delicous and I agree with you about the size.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sinful...and so yummy! They look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. They look beautiful. I haven't made toffee apples for a long time - don't know what one would do to my expensive dental work!....but I'd risk it for one of these!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |