Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cherry Upside Down Cake

i love cherries
i love how they look
and i love
how they taste
and usually this time of year
i am canning jam
but 
i don't feel like bowing over a hot stove

instead
i am baking cake
 a cake that is a bit hearty, rather than delicate
that tastes as if it came from the old world
as if it were made by my grandmother
 who pulled from the larder
a little bit of this
and a little bit of that
for a summer treat
to please
her welcomed guests
Cherry Upside Down Cake
(printable recipe)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 Tbs cherry herring liqueur (optional)
about a pound of pitted cherries--halved
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup almond meal
4 Tbs corn meal
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter--room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs--room temperature
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour cream-room temperature
spray or butter an 8" round cake pan.  i like to use one that is 3" high.  in a saucepan, place the sugar and cook over low heat until it is caramel in color.  you will have to be careful, only stir to make sure the sugar melts evenly.  once the sugar is liquid and caramel in color, remove from heat and drop in the butter and the cherry herring.  stir until butter is melted completely.  pour into the bottom of the cake pan.  place the cherries cut side down in concentric circles to line the bottom of the pan.
whisk the flour, almond meal, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the 1 cup butter with the granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy.  beat in the eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape down sides.  beat until the mixture looks like buttercream frosting.  add the almond and vanilla extracts.  put the beater on low and alternately add the dry ingredients with the sour cream--beginning and ending with dry ingredients.  pour on top of sugar/cherry layer.  bake on a sheet pan in a 350 oven until a cake tester comes out clean.  it should take about 50 minutes.

or..if you are feeling a bit delicate
you can make little cakies
scoop the batter into small tartlet pans
pop a pitted cherry on top 
and pour the caramel sauce on top
bake for about 15 minutes
serve upside down



30 comments:

  1. This cake looks soooo good. I want some...please:-) Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet cherries make this cake wonderful. I never thought of them with the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been eating cherries like crazy here since they are in season. I didn't know you could make cherry upside down cake. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds delicious! Cherries are one of my favorite fruits, thanks for sharing this recipe. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fresh cherries this time of the year! I've alread eaten so many. Fabulous cake ..it looks so rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, now cherries and cake - I can really love that! Even upside down! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to book mark this as it's winter here and we won't get cherries until Christmas time. I wish I could make it now-it looks sensational!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried cherries in an upside down cake ... i am totally trying this ... geez, you are helping my recipe collection grow big time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. This is an interesting variation on the upside down cake I am used to making. I have never tried almond meal before... that and the corn meal must make it gluten free. Yes? I use pineapple on mine, with cherries in between the slices. :-) One of my favorite cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so totally awesome!! do you sweet or tart(pie) cherries? thanks for the recipe. Did you go to a U-pick farm??

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!

    Wishing you a Happy Alphabe-Thursday!

    LOLA:)

    PS Mine this time is HERE. Hope you can join me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So these are bing cherries? I love the almond flour in it...cherries and almonds sounds sooo good. Yum! I also love your poetry! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks and sounds like a delicious cake. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks and sounds so delish :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! This looks yummy scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yum! I love cherries. I never cared much for pineapple upside down cake, but this looks delish! Thanks for the recipe. ~ sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Accckkk!

    This looks unbelievably delicious.

    I'm thinking I can actually modify this since it doesn't use much white flour!

    I would totally have to make this with company here or I would end up eating the whole thing.

    What a scrumptious stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "U"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for all the lovely comments....
    Thought I would address the GF questions..i think you could successfully substitute the white flour for a GF variety...especially because you aren't going for a delicate texture...although i will tell you...this cake has such a nice mouth-feel...
    i think you could actually substitute up to another 1/4 cup almond meal and still be okay. I used bing cherries from the farmer's market...i don't know that i would use frozen cherries...unless you want to make the caramel and mix in the cherries and pour on top of the finished cake as a topping...that might work nicely. I will have to try that and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay. I love you and I love this. You are making me so hungry. I'm at work, so hungry, and then open your cherry post, one of my favorite things in the world. I am making this. TONIGHT!
    hugs, thank you, thank you,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks soooo good.
    Last year we got exactly three (3) cherries from our tree, so if things don't improve I'll be back at the grocer to buy mine again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a beautiful cake and a great way to celebrate cherry season!

    I have a bag of cherries in my frig at home that may find themselves in a cake shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cherry and almond - one of my favorite combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yummy! I can almost taste it!
    Best wishes,
    Anna

    Anna's U-words

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your cake,
    yummy u post..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, I don't have any cherries but I do have pineapples. Maybe I will make that old favorite. Thanks for the idea. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yumm! I love cherries and I love cake!!!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This post made me drool like my Boxer does when she's waiting on a treat!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |