Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Homemade Vanilla

this is so easy
you may never buy vanilla extract again
and
not only is it great for your own cooking and baking
it makes a great gift
bundle up a jar of freshly made vanilla with a punnet of strawberries and bottle of cream
and give it to the nice lady next door
perhaps she will treat you back
with freshly made strawberry shortcake

Vanilla Extract
(printable recipe)
2 cups vodka or brandy
6-8 vanilla beans
split the vanilla beans and place in a glass jar or ceramic crock.  pour in vodka and ensure the pods are fully immersed.  hide in a cool dark place for about 8 weeks
easy as pie
mmm pie
watch this space
for pie
I am participating in alphabe-thursday
over at

you should go check it out
and see what all the fun is about
this week
sponsored by the letter V



16 comments:

  1. Thank you! I will be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that is too easy! Doesn't something that tastes that good have to be more complicated than that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried this - looks pretty easy so I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i am so making this ... it sounds so easy and i bet it makes nice gifts!!! thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound like something I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't everything taste better with a dash of vanilla? Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it really that easy? Even I can manage that :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super ‘V’ post – so interesting, enjoyable & yummy!

    Happy Alphabe-Thursday

    LOLA:)

    PS Mine this week is HERE. Hope you can join me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like any recipe that features vodka LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that looks good and so easy. Great V post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's all there is to it. Fascinating. Great V post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! My daughter and I do this for Christmas presents! It is delicious made with rum, too.

    Thanks for this scrumptious stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "V"!

    You are sweet!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just got my beans and I need to go get my vodka, do you split your beans and scrape the seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  14. mrs c.---i do not scrape the seeds, but you can...you would then have specks in your vanilla which would look beautiful in whipped cream and vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wanting to try this myself, but got sidetracked making vanilla sugar :) .
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUMMMMMMski!! where can you buy whole vanilla beans?
    thanks, Susan

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |