Sunday, October 2, 2011

crepe brulee

pasadena
is not all about
rose queens and debutantes
or
penny loafers and posh hotels
along the edges
nearing the fringe

bijouxs and the rippler (that's me)
inspired by
art & culture
the storied past of pasadena
more
underground than paseo
after hours than high tea
pop art than prep school

created an unexpected gem
THE CREPE BRULEE
a confection well loved
in the tea salons of paris
transforms
to lust worthy
in the altier of bijouxs

bijouxs and the rippler
met at camp
and
instantly bonded over
immaculately curated bunk rooms
(think pendleton blankets, leather steamer trunks and vintage oil lamps)
and an
aversion to mingling
it was no surprise to learn
they both hail
from
pasadena

it was an instant friendship
bonding while breaking bread
not clear who said it first
but both agree
pasadena can be sexy
and hip
ahead of the curve
it just doesn't want everyone to know

now the secret is out


lynn and i have collaborated
on an amazing dessert
preppy handbook meets laduree



 crepe brulee
(printable recipe)



lynn gray of bijouxs is an artist in the kitchen
she brings a designer's palate to food

when the light casts like chiffon in my kitchen
i close my eyes
wandering my mind to the bijouxs studio
to watch
my simple dessert of crepes and custard
become art

to learn more about lynn and her classic Bijouxs style
jewels from the kitchen
click here


15 comments:

  1. You are amazing! A beautifully original dessert!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so beautiful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds amazing. :) Thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys rock! Next time you take out your blow torch, I'll be the first in line to buy a ticket! I want to see the master kicking ass in her atelier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful, and Pasadena is an awesome place where I love to spend many a great weekend..
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! I am drooling...this looks amazing. Not surprising, though, everything you make looks delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christy!! I had such a blast meeting you today and I am so glad you came to the Social!! I think you're so awesome - and the Truffles were a HUGE hit!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was wonderful to share lunch with you yesterday. Now if I could just share some of that Crepe Brûlée with you ... my life would be complete! Wow that looks good.

    Mary @ Sea Quilts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely looks and sounds scrumptious! Totally enjoyed the sweet treats you shared for the socal social swag bag! Was great meeting you! Hope to get together again soon! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christy,

    I LoVed meeting you yesterday and enjoy your sense of humor !
    Check out http://talesfromanoccottage.blogspot.com/ for a happy fix !
    And Thank you for the chocolate, Yummy !

    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  11. My neighbour daughter is only 6 year old and she make a unique dish, after reading your blog post. I sure you laugh.

    She done same work with loaves and cut same way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is seriously one of the most beautiful desserts I have ever seen and will probably be one of my new favorites to eat as well!

    Hmmm...maybe I should move to Pasadena.

    I'm a big fan of vintage movie houses, so I always wanted to go to the Rialto Theater. I was sad to to hear that it closed. Did you ever go there? What's there now?

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crepe brulee! Ha, brilliance.

    Sorry I haven't commented in so long! I have kind of fallen off the blogosphere this summer but, I still have been following and still love your recipes and will be a more devoted follower starting now!

    Thanks for always posting such awesome pieces :)
    -Meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look beautiful! We LOVE Creme Brulee!! I love your blog, new follower for sure :)

    Kara :)

    http://lovehomebird.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |