Saturday, July 30, 2011

"sun dried" tomatoes

our first tomatoes to ripen
this season
were our romas
unfortunately
they ripened 
while we were away from home
by the time i picked them
they had
shriveled on the vine

handfuls upon handfuls
baking in the sun
going from
sun-kissed
to
heat stroke
solar energy
had zapped my tomatoes

once picked
i sliced each tomato in half
placed cut side up on a sheet pan
sprinkled with sea salt
and
placed in a 175-200 degree oven to dry
about 2 hours later
or maybe 3
i lost count
(check on them every 30 minutes after the 1st hour)
they were done
dry but not dried out

after cooling 
i stuffed the deep red chewy goodness
 into a fancy jar
and 
smothered them 
with good olive oil




7 comments:

  1. This is such a delicious way to preserve the "heat stroked" tomatoes and turn them into something fabulous! :) Too bad I don't have any tomato in my garden, otherwise, I would make this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! I loooove these :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Makes me wish my tomatoes would turn red already so I could make this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these but I used a food dehydrator. They work great in pasta recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you just saved me a LOT of coin in tomatoes i didn't get to in time that are falling off our plant! i love sun dried, i don't know why i didn't think of this sooner! you can add so many great spices too- some with kick, some with herbs. man alive, you may have SERIOUSLY just changed my cooking life.
    too far? ha.
    thanks for posting, as always i love your blog :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |