Monday, September 27, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

i am playing mind-games with myself
loading my kitchen with
pumpkins, squash, gourds
and all things fall

all while
cranking the air conditioner
up, Up UP

feeding my husband soup
as the outside temperature rises above one hundred
however
if i waited until the weather cooperated
2011 would be looming
before
soup weather arrives
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
(printable recipe)
4 cups butternut squash-cut into large dice
4 cloves of garlic-kept whole
2 shallots-cut in half
salt, pepper, olive oil
1/2 medium onion--diced
2 stalks celery--diced
1 Tbs whole coriander--toasted
1 tsp whole cumin--toasted
2 whole cloves--toasted
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground chipotle chili pepper
1/8 tsp red chili flakes (or more if you like very spicy)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 oz calvados (optional)
6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth (or water for vegetarian)
2 tsp brown sugar
cream or sour cream (optional for serving)
toss the butternut squash, garlic and shallots in a bit of olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place on two sheet pans and roast at 400 until the squash becomes soft and beginning to brown--approximately 40-50 minutes.  Check on it after 25 minutes and turn to allow for even cooking.  Remove from the oven and set aside.
In a stockpot, heat a bit of olive oil (just enough to coat the bottom lightly) and slowly cook the onions and celery until they are soft. Meanwhile, in a mortar and pestle crush the coriander, cumin, cloves and salt until they are nicely ground.  add the chipotle pepper, chili flakes and thyme, and toss all into the onion mixture.  cook for a minute or two, until there it seems like a paste, then add the calvados (if using) and stir until it is absorbed.  add the broth or water, the roasted squash, roasted garlic, roasted shallots and brown sugar.  simmer for 30 minutes.
for a hearty thick soup
using an immersion blender or stand blender, blend the soup until everything is evenly pureed.  reheat and serve topped with a bit of cream or sour cream
for a refined, silky smooth soup
*this will remove some of the strength of the spices, but will still allow for a flavorful soup.  i prefer the soup with this extra step, but it is not required.
push the pureed soup through a fine sieve, discarding the remaining solids
swirl in a bit of cream


I am participating in Tuesday Night Supper Club 
and
Hearth and Soul
and
alphabe-thursday

34 comments:

  1. I love butternut squash soup. This has ingredients that I have not tried in squash soup. One of my garden squash will be destined for this recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious. Butternut is a favorite of mine. Bookmarking this soup, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup looks wonderful. I love fall for the comfort food that it brings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, It isn't as warm here as where you are, but still the light seems like fall and when fall rolls in I am with you on the soup for dinner thing! Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll eat the soup for you ;) It's a wonderful 60-odd degrees here! This sounds awesome...all of my favorite fall flavors...plus chipotle- bonus!! I'm so trying that next time. Thank you for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love soup and squash is definitely among my favorites, I will try your version for sure!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!! I have 13 butternut squashes from my garden, this soup will be the destiny for more than 1 of them I'm sure :) Looks amazing, so rich and creamy!!

    Oh and I hear you about cranking the AC up to make it feel like fall. We've been doing the same thing here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds gorgeous. I love soup season :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate, it is still hot here too and I am really in the mood for some fall soups and stews. Your soup looks fantastic - I actually set out to make some roasted butternut squash soup yesterday but when I took the squash out of the oven I had to taste a piece of course and it was so good I couldn't stop eating it and before I knew it there wasn't enough to make the soup. Guess I'll have to roast 2 squashes next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love butternut soup...those croutons and that swirl of cream make that picture magazine ready!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, this soup SCREAMS Autumn! I have been thinking about making a butternut or pumpkin soup...think I'll try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love butternut squash soup. I can't wait to make some this season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks yummy (and hot/spicy!)

    I've seen a couple of vegetable soup recipes where the vegetables are roasted - I understand that it bring a unique (and excellent) flavour to the soup that you don't get otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christy,
    Sounds Fabulous!! You are one brave person to cook soup in this heat!!! I love that you roasted the vegetables 1st.

    Thanks for Sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy,
    I read somewhere that spicy foods helps keep you cool. Could be urban legend - I am not sure! This soup sounds delicious - I would love a bowl right now - it is 59 here.
    thanks for linking to the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm doing the same thing! I keep putting my meals into the crock pot in the morning, hoping that some miracle will happen and a rainy day will just appear. But so far, I've just ended up with a very warm kitchen. Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop, butternut squash is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I play those same mind games! Summer is approaching here in Oz but I just love Fall foods and decorating. I might even try your recipe soon too!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a lazy, lousy cook who buys the Butternut Squash soup starter at Williams-Sonoma. It's incredible. But I am going to print out this recipe and when it finally gets chilly in Florida, I'm making it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks beautiful - days here are just starting to warm up (we are in spring), but evenings are still cool enough to enjoy soup.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is a lovely soup whenever you choose to serve it. This is my first visit to your blog, but I'll be back often. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love butternut squash soup, this is a differnt flavor blend than I am used to, but I will give it a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love when I see a recipe with a tag "vegetarian". We've already had a few days of soup weather, and this one looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your recipe looks tasty & what a beautiful color! They are calling for temps in the 60's by the weekend...I am SO ready for soup weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing this recipe! This is in time for butternut squash too..Sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this soup and have the squash in the garden if I can talk hubs into it. He just likes his squash baked with a little brown sugar and butter mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My hubby has a brand new Montel Williams Living Well juicer/blender. I want to try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing and please come joinme soon. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmmmm. I love butternut squash and I've made it into soup before but your version has lots of pizazz that I'd like to try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a pretty dish! I love the croutons on top!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a delicious sounding recipe. I need to get one of those immersion blender things someday. I always end up trying to use my food processor and it makes such a mess.

    This sounds so silky smooth and flavorful. I like the idea of using the whole squash, too!

    Thanks for linking your delicious post to Alphabe-Thursday this week.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks so good! I'm going to have to try your recipe also...yum..

    ReplyDelete
  31. the best soup in autumn....thank you..bkm

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yum! What a great time of year to be cooking squash! Have you ever tried butternut squash risotto? It's my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Is there anything nicer on a cold fall night? I enjoy the squash waiting to be peeled and chopped on the counter almost as much as I enjoy the finished soup.

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |