Monday, August 9, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan



we have two versions of this dish in my family

i am of italian decent
100%
and
on both sides of my family
eggplant parmesan
is a family favorite
but the technique
is not the same

while both are quite good
i prefer the recipe from my maternal side
which is lighter on the sauce and cheese
giving the eggplant a real starring role

this is true comfort food for me
when i would return home from college
for holidays and summer break
this would be part of the meal 
greeting my arrival
paired with 
chicken cutlet and roasted asparagus
and a 
big glass of milk

its kinda like 
a  big tight hug
Eggplant Parmesan
(printable recipe)
2 large eggplant
5 or 6 eggs
about 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
about 1 1/2- 2  cups mozzarella (not the fresh kind floating in the water)--grated
about 3 cups prepared marinara sauce
salt and pepper
olive oil
cut the eggplant crosswise into about 1/4" slices.  lay slices in layers on paper towel.  let sit 6 hours or overnight at room temperature (i know, i know...but i have never gotten sick and i stand by this method.)  you can alternately salt the eggplant and let it sit in a colander to drain for an hour..but i am not a fan and i don't think it gives as good a result...just sayin'. the idea is to get the eggplant to dry out a bit.
whisk the eggs with a bit of salt and pepper...a pinch or so of each... in a shallow bowl.  dip the eggplant into the egg.
fry in batches in a bit of olive oil until each side is golden brown
at this point you can cool and then place in freezer bags for future use. i like to fry up a bunch of eggplant and have it at the ready.
take your standard casserole dish (8x13 or so) and put a bit of sauce on the botton. not so much that the eggplant will swim in it, but enough to keep the eggplant moist and keep everything from sticking.  place a layer of eggplant on top, slightly overlapping the pieces.  put a bit of sauce on top...a thin but complete layer.  sprinkle some parmesan cheese---not a heavy hand, but a nice even layer and then place a light handed layer of mozzarella randomly on top. if you love, love, love cheese...do whatever you want at this step. repeat steps for at least 3 layers, but not more than 4 layers (of eggplant).  divide your ingredients accordingly..so you have the same amount of each ingredient in each layer.  top with a bit of sauce and  this is where you can get heavy with the cheese...it just looks so good all melty and gooey.
place in a 350F oven for about 35 minutes or until it is bubbling with goodness and the cheese begins to brown a bit.  you can also wrap this up and pop in the freezer for another day.
now
EAT UP!
I am linking up to 
and


19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness christy! I ADORE eggplant parmesan and your recipe looks so yummy! Thanks for posting this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried before, but I'll give a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! That looks really good. My Husbands Mother just made him eggplant parmesan Sunday.

    I am a new follower, hope you stop by my blog and follow me back

    I am following you from Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop, My Journey With Candida
    My entry this week is Make Your Own Nut Butters
    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-your-own-nut-butter.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to surprise my mother with this recipe, she LOVES eggplant parmesan - what a treat!

    FYI - somedaycrafts.blogspot.com has a Thursday Give Away Day - where you link a current prizefest. Might be a great place to encourage folks to join the Supper Club.

    See you next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your eggplant parmesan sounds absolutely scrumptious - thanks for sharing your family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm up for that hug...sounds comforting and beyond delicious! Thanks so much for sharing it w/ Two for Tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like we are both having an eggplant parm kind of mood. Love eggplant parm - your recipe sounds delicious - no bread crumbs so it's gluten free - yeah! I'll definitely be making this. Thanks for hosting the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorite dishes! thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not an eggplant (or brinjal as we call them here) fan but with the parmesan I might just consider trying out your recipe. You most certainly made it look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! Looks great! I'd love to try this one day...I just need Hubby to start liking eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing a family recipe. That's one appetizing epplant parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fabulous! I haven't had eggplant parm. in AGES! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be so happy to have a big plate of this right now. Seriously, right now, this very moment... sigh, *puts her head down on the keyboard in defeat* Thanks for linking up with #24T

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so making this next - I was thinking about what to do with my leftover fried eggplant and this would have been perfect - I didn't know you could freeze these ahead of time also - genius! Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous--I love eggplant parm, so this is wonderful. And it's a great tip to freeze for later!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love eggplant parmesan and your version looks positively divine. Thanks for sharing - I can see one of your family favourites becoming one of mine!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eggplant parm, one of my favorite summer meals! Thanks so much for linking this to Two for Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could have sworn that I left a comment on this!? Oh well...I'll have to try this one, I like eggplant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. your eggplant parm is STILL the only eggplant parm i'll willingly eat.... although i'm not sure which side of the family it was from.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |