Wednesday, April 21, 2010

N is for Nun's Sighs

you may have noticed a bit of a spanish theme this week
my guest blogger for tuesday night supper club
gave us a recipe for spanish tortilla
and i am providing dessert!
these little puffs of deliciousness
were the pride of the spanish convents
and envy of lay people everywhere

the dough is much like what is used to make eclairs and cream puffs,
but is a bit looser
also
 these are fried, not baked.

my version adds a little nutmeg...as it is "n" week afterall!
Nun's Sighs
(printable recipe)
3 1/4 oz unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
zest from 1 lemon
1 cup water
pinch kosher salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (if not freshly grated, use slightly less)
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar + pinch nutmeg for dusting
oil for frying

Place butter, sugar, lemon zest, salt and water in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and toss in flour and nutmeg. Stir vigorously until the flour pulls away from the sides, then cook on low for a few minutes more, stirring. The intent is to dry it out a bit, but do not scorch or brown.  Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes.  It should still be warm but not hot when you begin to add the eggs.  Add eggs one at a time, incorporating fully before adding the next egg. Mix in vanilla.  At this point, if the mixture is too soft to work with, pop it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat 3" of oil in a deep pan for frying.  When the oil is hot (about 350), drop dough by spoonfuls or use a pastry bag for a decorative effect.  Fry until golden brown.  Remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper. Dust with powdered sugar/nutmeg mixture to serve.  These really should be eaten directly after making.  You can keep the dough in the fridge for a couple of days for that last minute nun's sigh jonesin' moment.

30 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Word. Must have one of these now. Dang, I wish I lived a little closer to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooooooooooooooooooo I want them NOW!

    ~melody~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Christy - this is a recipe that has been used in my family at least for the last three generations. They have always been known by their French name, which is very rude, and not at all about Nun's Sighs....but this is PG rated and I won't be letting the rude name slip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo, these Nun Sighs sound so delicious, with the combination of nutmeg and lemon.
    To answer your question, yes I do use Bird's Custard Powder. I know it is available from the Irish import store where I live, and at a British tea shop not too far from me. Sometimes the big grocery stores have a nice import section too. I bet you can find some if you look around a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous sweet treats these Nun's sighs are, but oh the calories!! Well, maybe just one won't hurt?
    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. These looks wonderful. I bet they are great with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy as your usual stuff. I know this would be my downfall LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, more yummy treats on my journey through the N posts. These look so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great name for a dessert :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. MM the blogs I am reading are making me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds calorific and yummy ... you always have some of the most interesting and yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the name, they look like the kind of thing that "you can't eat just one."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I've never heard of these, but they sound wonderful. I love their name, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, dang that hypoglycemia! Because those look just to die for...you had me at fried...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't made creme puff dough in forever. What a great interpretation of it, too!

    I wish I would have had one or two for my nacket!

    Thanks for a tasty stop on my little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "N"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look and sound good. I love the name of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Waiting for dinner to finish cooking and here you are tempting me with sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks very yummy! I've never made any fried pastries. My mother used to, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look delicious!

    thanks for your visit

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never heard of Nun's Sighs but they do look like delicious treats! Sort of like Beignets?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recipe - live here in Spain so will try it this weekend!

    Great 'N' post! See you again next Thursday for'O'?!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    PS used to live in LA too - loved Huntingdon Gardens in Pasadena!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They sound yummy - and I love nutmeg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good Morning!

    I've never heard of Nun's Sighs either but they are saying "HELLO" to my stomach right now!! I can taste them just from the ingredients!! What is it about the mystical taste of nutmeg that it can be used to "wake up" every food group??

    Thanks for sharing your "N" with us. And, thanks for stopping by the farmhouse for a visit. We love having company!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks incredible. It also fits right in with my current post on fried foods:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh! That looks delicious!!! Can't wait to try them!!!!

    Thank you for visiting Charm of the Carolines today. Looking forward to seeing more of you here and there.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look delicious! Can almost smell them frying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm with Tina-- you had me at fried!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am in love, these look so yummy and I bet they melt in your mouth. Give me a cup of coffee and a couple of those and I am in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  29. these look so wonderful....I love all your alphabet posts....they make me hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |