Wednesday, May 18, 2011

fennel and watermelon crudo

 
  sometimes
i like to ease into my supper
as if 
it is a hammock
rather than 
an overstuffed chair

this crudo 
 a first course
to an 
early spring meal

celebrates
fennel's season's end
where
watermelon's begins
fennel and watermelon crudo
1 fennel bulb--thinly sliced
1/4 of a small sweet watermelon--thinly sliced
2 oz feta cheese
fresh mint leaves
aged balsamic vinegar
arrange the fennel and watermelon slices on your serving plate
crumble feta cheese over the top 
add the mint leaves and drizzle with balsamic vinegar
*if you use fresh local seasonal ingredients, you will not need to do much to this and it will be juicy, sweet and delicious

9 comments:

  1. hmmm what an interesting combination not sure how id like this combo if someone was to order it i would most definately ask for a small taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kira--give it a try..you might be surprised! Christina--make it and let me know--you can add a citrus dressing if it is too dry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the visual imagery of easing in to dinner like a hammock! The combination of the fennel and watermelon, feta and mint sound sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, awesome sounding combo! I don't think I've ever had watermelon and fennel together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jenn--me too...maybe a bit awkward at first, but one settled in--more relaxing than a raft on still waters :)
    @heather-try it..they are both sweet, one more subtle than the other..but they are really interesting together..i bet you can come up with some kind of zing to really jazz it up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever eaten fennel, but I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm obsessed Watermelon and feta salad, that addition of fennel sounds heavenly to me!

    I'm so happy to have met the Rippler at Camp Blogaway and now to have found your blog! Love it!

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sophisticated, fresh and artful! Your recipes always add such class to "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |