Monday, June 13, 2011

tuesday night supper club--link up no 44 {spotlight}

welcome to our new format for 
Tuesday Night Supper Club

just a reminder
we will have a link up once a month--landing on the 2nd tuesday of the month
and 
i will feature a blog and blogger chosen from the previous month's link up

for june, i first chose the food, and then the blogger
i just couldn't get this amazing pull apart cinnamon bread
out of my mind
which is annoyoing because i am trying to cut back a bit on the bread 
(it is a weakness of mine)
the creator of this gorgeous treat is
heather
from
i have been admiring her work for about a year now.  besides having diverse and amazing culinary interests, she is also very interesting.  the words heather puts on her blog are just as intoxicating as the recipes.  her blog is her palate and she paints the most intriguing pictures.  so much so, that i have found myself trying stocking my shelves with books she recommends, downloading movies on netflix...and desperately looking for the next great tortilla soup recipe.
so you could get to know her better, I asked heather a few questions
you will see in her answers her fun and creative approach to life

1. What came first, the blog or the name? The name, actually. My email address was girlichef and when I was trying to figure out what to name my blog...I tossed so many things around but was just never able to come up with something.  I can never think of anything when I'm trying...only at inopportune times.  I mean, I have great comebacks when it's far too late to voice them (that kind of thing).  So, I went with girlichef.  I do think it's somewhat misleading to people who have never been to my place. I'm pretty much not "girly" in the sense people think of the term (you know, frou-frou).  That term stems from being a female in the kitchen throughout culinary school and in restaurants.  "Hey girli..."  Nothing derogatory, just a term of endearment.  That's why my tagline(...where all roads lead to the kitchen) is so essential...it pretty much describes who I am.

2. How long have you been blogging?  My first official blog post was on February 11, 2009...so just over two years.

3. You have so many interests, baking bread, homemade cheese, books and food, movies and food, are there more and do you have a favorite?  Eeek, that's a hard question.  I do adore bread, cheese, garlic, soup, and the flavors of Mexico.  I've been a bookworm my whole life, so culinary mysteries and foodie-related books are a given, but I'm a huge mystery freak, as well.  I love photography.  I love traveling and taking road trips (to culinary destinations, or otherwise).  I love learning the history and culture and traditions of places and their people.  I love Kung Fu movies.  It's hard to pick a "favorite" because usually whatever I'm into at the moment is my favorite.

4. Do you have a food hero or heroine?  I don't know if there's any person in particular who I'd call my food hero, but I naturally gravitate towards those who exude passion and embrace food...those who not just cook to eat, but cook because it's in their soul.  Those who love what they do. (A few personal favorites: Rick Bayless, Julia Child, Nigella Lawson, Chuck Hughes, Jamie Oliver.)

5. What is your least favorite food trend?  molecular gastronomy

6. What is your number 1 kitchen essential?  I've always dreaded this question. I have a hard time picking just one thing.  Maybe my cast-iron skillet.  Or my blender.  Maybe wooden spoons...

7. Dream dinner party--guest list, menu, location and music.   Outdoors somewhere in the evening when it's not too hot and not too cold with live music(ideally Dave Matthews, but I'm cool with pretty much any live music) with any and all family and friends (past & present).  The food would probably something Mexican...that can be carried around easily. Plenty of drinks and laughs and space for dancing and kids running and interaction.  Maybe a fire.  I know, that's pretty vague.  I have all kinds of scenarios in my head, but that's what sounds good right now.

8. 3 things always in your shopping cart?  A wedge of Parmesan, flour (of some sort), Peanut Butter

9.  wine or spirits?  Wine.  I'm too poor for (good) spirits.  Although, if money were no object, I'd probably be pretty evenly split.  When I have some to spend on spirits, though...I go for Bourbon (Maker's Mark, in particular).  And though I've chosen wine, it's pretty much a 50/50 split between wine and beer.  

10. sweet or savory?  Savory. Usually.  Although if I had a choice, I like something with the combination of both.

i'd love it if you took some time to check out heather's blog 


now it is time to link up--show us what you have been working on
(if you are new to the supper club, please go here before linking up--and don't forget to visit others)



12 comments:

  1. What a great interview, Christy! I really enjoyed getting to know Heather better through those fun question and answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy, linkytools was acting up a bit, and as a result, my recipe posted twice. Please feel free to delete one!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this cinnamon pull apart bread and it looks awesome but I'm afraid to make it for fear of eating the entire thing myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christy,
    Great selection for your feature. Heather is one of my favorite bloggers! Thank you for hosting and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great questions and answers! It's always nice to know someone better after reading a blog for so long. :) Thanks for sharing.

    I'm sharing my book review for "On A Stick" and a giveaway this week with Tuesday night Supper Club.

    Just became your newest follower. Hope you'll visit my blog and follow back. Have a wonderful day.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for hosting.
    I have a page on my site that lists more than 250 hops, memes, and photo challenges… some for each day of the week. Check under the header for the link to that page. I’ve also started a BlogFrog community that focuses on hops, carnivals, memes, and photo challenges. Go to http://theblogfrog.com/1504201 to visit & participate.
    NCSue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting this week. Love the interview format! That pull apart bread looks divine too.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I linked up with my Deep Chocolate Chip Cookies. The rich flavor of them will blow you away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for featuring me this week, Christy...I am honored and had a blast answering your questions =) I brought some more bread this week...apparently I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love Heather's blog, great choice! I tried linking up but couldn't for some reason. I'll be back later (maybe a different browser?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fun! I love cinnamon bread, and haven't yet tried making cinnamon rolls gluten-free yet. Maybe this will be enough inspiration...

    My post is a recipe for an asparagus potato salad, perfect for late spring when you are grasping at the last few bunches of asparagus. It is coincidentally (not by design) vegetarian, egg/gluten/soy free, and can be adapted to vegan and dairy free quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome delicious dish. I will definitely try out this at my home today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your comments and welcome them, although i moderate each one before approving. if you are an @no reply blogger, please leave a contact email or twitter account, so i can respond to you directly. thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |